With the crazy weather lately we have to keep reminding ourselves that it’s Spring not Winter. In fact, only 5 more weeks until Memorial Day cookouts, beach outings, and/or picnics.
Are you ready to have some fun? If you haven’t been working consistently on your fitness and health, your body may be struggling. It’s time to change that.
Before you even start, decide:
- When and how you will get your exercise. Bootcamp? Running in the mornings? Strength training? Treadmill at the gym after work?
- What foods you will eat and how you will ensure that you have access to those foods? Do you have a small cooler that you can take along with you? What will your breakfasts consist of? How much caffeine will you allow yourself?
- How you will arrange your schedule so that you get at least 7 hours of sleep each night? Do you need to get the kids in bed sooner or prepare your lunches on the weekends to save time in the morning?
- Grab yourself an accountability partner. Your success depends on it. Getting fit is not easy. If it were, more people would be doing it and we would not have our current epidemic of obesity. Ensure you succeed, get some support from a friend or a personal trainer.
Without a strategy, you set yourself up for failure.
Plan on succeeding!
Let’s get started with another exercise in this Fitolution.
Assume a ½ kneeling position with your right leg forward, left leg back, and your torso, right tibia (shinbone) and left upper thigh approximately vertical to the floor. Move your left arm into the forward position with fingers level with your chin, and your right arm into the back position. Squeeze both arms to your sides with approximately a 90-degree bend in each elbow, fingers extended and wrists in the neutral position (wrists aligned with your forearms). Stiffen (“brace”) your abdominal muscles to stabilize your spine, depress and retract your scapulae (pull shoulders back and down) and attempt to hold these positions throughout the exercise. Align your head with your thoracic (upper) spine.
Upward Movement: Exhale and explode upwards pushing from your glutes performing the following sequence:
- Driving your left knee forward and upward (allow the knee-bend to open up slightly).
- Driving your left arm backwards from your shoulders, while maintaining the 90-degree bend in your elbow and arm squeezed against your side.
- Driving your right arm forward from your shoulders, until fingers are level with your chin (maintaining an approximate 90-degree bend in your elbow or less) and arm squeezed against your side.
Continue driving forward until your right leg (stance or support) leg moves into triple extension (extending your hip, straightening your knee and exploding onto your toes). In this position, your body should be aligned vertical or in a slight forward-lean position with your head facing forward, aligned with your spine. Attempt to hold this end position briefly, before returning slowly to your starting position. Perform 10 repetitions and repeat with the opposite leg. Repeat for 2 more rounds.
As we’ve discussed numerous times, you can’t achieve your goals with exercise alone. Nutrition often times is the key to getting over a plateau, losing that last 5 pounds, or getting rid of that bloat.
Experiment with food and try different recipes. Healthy food is delicious. (more)
What do you have to lose other than weight and inches?
Ready. Let’s go!